April 21, 2021
Spicy Peanut Sauce Enchiladas
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Dora´s Table.
We love this recipe from Dora´s table. These spicy peanut sauce enchiladas, also known as Encacahuatadas are smoky, creamy, savory, and full of umami. Its the perfect dish to celebrate Cinco De Mayo or anytime you are craving Mexican food.
Check out health benefits of peanuts here.
For spicy peanut sauce
- 8 Guajillo Chiles stems and seeds removed, rinsed*
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup peanut butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1 Plum tomato, roasted
- 1/8 tsp. ground clove
- 1 cup vegetable stock store-bought or homemade with the NutraMilk.
- 1 lb. mushrooms. cremini sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz. spinach or other leafy green, roughly chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz) black beans, drained, rinsed
- 12 corn or flour tortillas (gluten-free option)
- 1 cup almond crema made with the NutraMilk
For peanut butter
- 2 cups (275g) peanuts (untoasted, unsalted)
- pinch salt (optional)
To make peanut butter & peanut sauce
- Place peanuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2-3 minutes. Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Leave 1/2 cup of peanut butter in the NutraMilk and store the rest for later use.
- Add the rest of sauce ingredients and press ¨Mix¨ and ¨Start¨ until well combined and smooth.
To make the filling:
- Add ¼ cup of water or vegetable stock to a large sauté pan set to medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté for 5-6 minutes, or until almost all the moisture has evaporated from the mushrooms and they are beginning to brown. Add more liquid if necessary.
- Lower heat to medium-low and add the garlic, cook for 1 min. Add the spinach and stir. Cover pan and let spinach cook down, 2-3 minutes. Add hominy and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Bring a medium sauce pot to low-medium heat and pour in sauce. Heat just enough to get it hot. If it simmers, the sauce might break.
- Warm corn or flour tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds or in the oven at 350F on a sheet tray for 5 min. Just enough so that the tortillas are soft enough to be rolled.
- Spread 2-3 tbsp. of the peanut sauce on the bottom of a 9 x13 baking dish, Place 1 tbsp. of filling on each tortilla. Roll and place on baking dish. Continue this process until you have used up all the tortillas and the entire filling.
- Pour the rest of the peanut sauce on top of the enchiladas and drizzle almond crema on top. Enjoy!
*You can use different spicy peppers/Chiles-a good substitute for Guajillo Chiles are Chile del Arbol.
* If the sauce and the filling are hot there is no need to put the enchiladas in the oven. If you would rather place them in the oven do so at 350°F for 5-7 minutes.