September 30, 2022
French Toast with Apples and Pecans
These fall inspired French Toasts are a real treat for a cozy weekend. Apples, warm spices, sweet roasted pecans and pecan milk make this recipe unique. Give it a try when you are in the mood for French toast. Enjoy!
For French toasts
- 1 loaf of French Bread
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups plant based milk of choice made with the Nutramilk (I used pecan milk)
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean, scraped or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp. cinnamon (divided)
- 2 tsp. nutmeg (divided)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 6 tbsp. butter (divided)
- 2 granny smith apples, thinly sliced in rings
- 1/2 cup pecans
For pecan milk
- 1 cup (110g) pecans
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For pecan Milk
- Start by making fresh pecan milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place pecans in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with pecan milk. Set aside 2 cups for recipe and store the rest for later use.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, pecan or other plant-based milk, vanilla, 2 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp of nutmeg until smooth.
- In a large skillet or griddle add enough butter to coat surface and bring to medium heat. Test the temp of the skillet with a drop of the custard, it should sizzle, but not be smoking.
- Working with one slice at a time soak the french bread in the custard and add to prepared skillet. Allow to cook without turning until golden brown. (If browning too quickly, reduce heat) Turn and continue to cook the other side.
- Once cooked set aside on a baking sheet in preheated oven. Continue with remaining slices, keeping warm in the oven.
- In the same skillet over medium/low heat add the maple syrup, remaining butter and remaining cinnamon and nutmeg. Warm until it begins to bubble, stirring frequently. Add apple rings to the maple syrup stirring until coated. Allow to cook until apples are just tender, but not falling apart. Remove and set aside. Add pecans to the syrup mixture and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When ready to serve, top french toast with poached apples, warm pecans and the maple sauce from the pan. Enjoy!
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by The Modern Proper.