May 14, 2020
Naturally Made Butterfinger Candy Bar
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Chocolate Covered Katie.
For peanut butter
- 2 cups (275g) peanuts (untoasted, unsalted)
- pinch salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
- 1 tbsp. regular or blackstrap molasses - or omit and increase agave to 1/3 cup
- 3 1/2 tbsp. sugar, unrefined if desired, or additional maple syrup
- 1 cup peanut butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1 1/2 cups bran flakes or corn flakes, or another flake cereal (56g)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
For chocolate coating:
- 1 cup dark chocolate bar, chopped or chocolate chips
- 2 tsp of coconut oil
- *(you can also make a chocolate coating with ½ cup virgin coconut oil mixed with ½ cup cocoa powder and vanilla stevia drops or liquid sweetener to taste)
- Making the peanut butter
- Place peanuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2-3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Combine the first three Butterfinger ingredients in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil on medium heat. Boil about a minute, stirring constantly, then remove from heat.
- Add the peanut butter and salt, and stir until it makes a paste.
- Add the cereal and stir very well to coat, partially crushing the cereal flakes as you stir. Make sure the flakes are very evenly coated.
- Press into an 8×8 pan—either lined with wax or parchment paper, or greased very well—and freeze until completely hardened.
- (Cut into bars while only somewhat frozen, or thaw the block a little before cutting.)
- For chocolate coating: Melt the dark chocolate with the coconut oil over a double boiler. You can also melt in a microwave, stopping and stirring every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Using a dipping tool or 2 forks, dip each bar into the melted chocolate. Place the dipped bars on a piece of parchment paper and refrigerate 10 minutes, or let cool at room temperature to set the chocolate. Store in the freezer for optimum “snap.”
Notes: Peanut butter more closely resembles Butterfingers but you can use other nut or seed butters such as almond butter or even sunflower butter.
You can also just top the bars with chocolate instead of dipping the whole bar or they are also so good on their own without the chocolate.