March 28, 2019
Pecan Butter Cookies
Recipe by American Pecan Council
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
For pecan butter
- 2 cups (220g) pecans
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For the cookies
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 3 tablespoons plant milk or pecan milk (made with the NutraMilk)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pecan butter
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sifted spelt flour (white)
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup chopped pecan pieces
- Extra pecan halves and pieces for topping
- Making pecan butter
- Place pecans and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 3-4 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Making the cookie dough
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine the ground flax with the plant milk then set aside and allow to thicken for 5 minutes. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the pecan butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Add the thickened flax mixture and stir to combine. Add the spelt flour, oat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, sea salt, and pecan pieces on top of the wet ingredients. Using a sturdy spoon, incorporate the dry into the wet ingredients. The mixture will seem stiff, but keep mixing until a gooey cookie dough forms.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and scoop the cookie dough into 12 equal balls. Roll each ball so that it is smooth, place on sheet, then press down slightly on each ball to flatten it slightly. Press a single pecan half, or a teaspoon of chopped pecan pieces, into the center of each cookie (pressing down well).
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, let cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet, and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Enjoy warm off the rack, and store leftovers in an airtight container on the counter or chilled in the refrigerator. Best if enjoyed within 3 days.