February 01, 2019
Alfajores with Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
Try our Argentine inspired Alfajores made by our Nutritionist, Florencia, who actually hails from Argentina! These delectable treats pair oh so well with a Maté Latte, made w/ Yerba Maté and Almond Milk.
IngredientsFor cookie dough:
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp of lemon zest
- ½ cup of flaked or granulated coconut
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
Replace butter and eggs with:
- ½ cup of vegetable oil or ¾ cup of vegetable margarine
- 2 tablespoons of almond butter or any nut butter of your choice (optional)
- 2 cups hazelnuts (270 g)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (130 g) (or mix white/milk/dark chocolate chips)
- Make the chocolate hazelnut butter:
- Place hazelnuts and chocolate chips in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 15-16 minutes (for roasted hazelnuts set for 4-5 minutes)
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Set aside to use as the filling.
- Beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar gradually, beating until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and lemon zest For vegan Option: Mix together oil, nut butter, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest until smooth.
- Sift together the cornstarch, flour, baking powder and soda. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the mixture, beating until thoroughly combined.
- Roll out the dough, using as little flour as possible, about 1/4 inch thick. The dough will have an unusual consistency. Cut with a small round cookie cutter and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave enough space between the cookies because they will spread.
- Bake in the preheated oven (350° F) for 10-15 minutes, until the edges start to turn golden. Remove the cookies immediately to cool.
- Spread the underside of a cooled cookie with a spoonful of chocolate hazelnut filling then sandwich together with another cookie until the filling oozes out the sides.
- Roll the sides in the shredded coconut.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired.