July 20, 2022
Dairy–Free Buttermilk Plum Cake
Plums are in season and this is one delicious way to consume them. This cake is easy to make and is a great snack or breakfast! We´ve used fresh nutritious almond milk made in the NutraMilk, spelt flour to add more fiber and change it up a bit and some flavorful spices. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (minus 1 1/2 tablespoons) made with the NutraMilk.
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature (can also opt for vegan egg substitute such as flax egg)
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. cane sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 plums or plumcots
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For almond Milk
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with almond milk.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and grease a 10-inch tart pan with cooking spray.
- In a 2-cup measuring cup, add the apple cider vinegar and almond milk. The mixture should measure 1 1/2 cups. Let sit for five minutes to allow milk to curdle.
- In a large bowl, add the vinegar/almond milk mixture, along with the oil, almond extract and egg. Whisk until combined.
- In the same bowl, add the flour, 1/2 cup cane sugar, baking powder, spices and salt. (Sift in dry ingredients if lumpy). Whisk together until well combined.
- Slice each plum into eight wedges, leaving the skin on, and arrange on top of the cake. Don’t worry if the plums sink into the batter. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of cane sugar on top of the cake and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before removing from the tart pan and cutting into slices. While this cake is best served fresh, you can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 2-3 days.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Crumb Top Baking.