August 13, 2020
Dairy–Free Cheeze- Its Crackers
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Plant-based Cheeze-its!!!! They are ¨cheezy¨, savory & so flavorful!
And, of course so much healthier than the real Cheez-Its. These are made with just a few healthy ingredients!
Enjoy these as a snack on their own or dip them into a ranch or other dressing/dip of choice.
Here are 2 recipes for dips we know you´ll love dipping these crackers in:
- 4 tbsp. cashew butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1 1/2 tbsp. nutritional yeast (+more as desired for “cheezy” flavor)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup gluten free flour (can also use 2/3 cup almond flour & 1/3 c oat flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (optional)
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- pinch of turmeric (optional for color)
- 4–5 tbsp. any plant based milk or filtered cold water
For cashew butter
- 2 cups (300g) cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Making cashew butter
- Place cashews and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Next, add dry ingredients to the NutraMilk and press ¨Mix¨ for 1 minute or less until thoroughly combined.
- Add cashew butter and ¨Mix¨ again until crumbly.
- Add cold water or milk – 1 tbsp. at a time until it forms a loose dough. Use the least amount possible so you don’t have watered down dough!
- Remove from processor and form into a loose ball with your hands.
- Lay ball on a lightly floured surface – I found parchment worked great as my flat surface – dust the top with flour, and roll to 1/8th inch thick with a lightly floured rolling pin.
- Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut cookie cutter shape to cut the dough into square crackers.
- Using a toothpick or chopstick, dot the centers to mimic the appearance of Cheez-Its.
- Bake crackers for 15-18 minutes or until puffy and golden brown. For a crispier cracker, bake until a deeper golden brown.
- Store leftover crackers in an airtight container for up to one week.
Recipe adapted from Flora & Vino.