October 27, 2021
Plant-Based Creamed Corn
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by The Spruce Eats.
This really easy to make side dish is perfect to serve for your next holiday party or BBQ.
It´s gluten-free, dairy-free & vegan. Made with fresh almond milk using the NutraMilk which adds a delicous nutty flavor, creaminess and loads of healthy nutrients.
For creamed corn
- 2 lbs. frozen sweet corn (32-oz. bag or 2 16-oz. bags)
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened plant-based milk of choice made with the NutraMilk (I used almond)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. vegan margarine or regular butter if not vegan
- 2 tsp. gluten-free flour
- Optional: dash cayenne pepper, chili powder, or red pepper flakes
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For almond Milk
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with almond milk.
- Transfer half of the corn kernels and pulp to the NutraMilk and process just until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, combine the remaining whole corn kernels and the blended or processed corn. Add in the almond milk. Bring it to a slow simmer and allow to heat for about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the salt and the sugar.
- In a separate small skillet, melt the vegan margarine over low heat, then add the flour, stirring to form a thick paste (flour roux).
- Once the paste forms, transfer the margarine and flour roux to the corn mixture and heat just until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently. You may need to turn the heat up to medium-high during those last 3 to 4 minutes in order to get the creamed corn to thicken.
- Serve hot and enjoy!