Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by One Green Planet.
These flourless muffin clusters make a great pre-workout snack or anytime snack.
A pre-work out snack should provide a good balance of carbohydrates for quick energy with small amounts of protein to help build and repair muscle tissue and regulate the release of glucose in the blood while not containing too much fiber or fat which can cause digestive upset during the workout.
The recipe below provides just that! Give it a try and remember that timing is everything when it comes to pre-work out snacks. Everyone is different and while some people need to eat and have that fuel 1 hour before the workout, for some it will be too close to the workout and will need to eat more like 2 hours before. For more information check out the following article ¨Fuel Your Workout with the NutraMilk¨.
For the Muffin Clusters:
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa (make sure you cook the water out of the quinoa here and slightly undercooked)
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats (assure they are GF if necessary)
- ½ cup raisins or unsweetened dried fruit of your choice
- ¼ cup peanut butter made with the NutraMilk
- ½ cup apricot paste
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 6 tbsp warm water
- ½ cup almond milk made with the NutraMilk
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup ground mixed nuts of choice (optional)
For the Apricot Paste:
- 1 cup of unsweetened dried apricots
- Water for soaking
- 2 cups (275g) peanuts (untoasted, unsalted)
- pinch salt (optional)
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
To make the peanut butter
- Place peanuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2-3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- Leave 1 ½ cups of peanut butter in the NutraMilk and store the rest for later use.
To make almond Milk
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with almond milk.
To Make the Apricot Paste:
- Cover apricots with cold water and soak for 4-6 hours. Remove apricots and reserve water.
- Place apricots in the NutraMilk and process until smooth. If needed, adjust consistency with some of the reserved water.
- Store the apricot paste in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to two weeks. Use as needed.
To Make the Muffin Clusters:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a non-stick muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions, but cook on slightly higher heat to absorb most of the water and to achieve a crunchier quinoa.
- Mix together flaxseed meal with warm water and set aside (stir every so often while following the next steps). Flaxseed meal as an egg-replacement should be gooey, not watery, like the consistency of an egg.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together quinoa, oats, mixed nuts, raisins.
- In separate mixing bowl, add peanut butter, apricot paste, flaxseed meal, almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla. Stir until combined. Fold in dry ingredients and stir well.
- Spoon the granola mixture into each muffin cup filling almost to the top. Press mixture down firmly into each cup with the back of a spoon and/or your fingers.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool slightly before removing.