March 13, 2019
Hazelnuts Nuts For Healthy Aging
By Florencia Tagliavini, The NutraMilk Nutritionist
Eating a healthy diet and staying fit is important for everyone no matter what age, but older adults are particularly vulnerable to malnutrition due to the process of aging. Many diseases suffered by older persons are the result of dietary factors, so it becomes especially important to pay attention to diet and make sure older adults receive adequate amounts of nutrients.
- Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant which fights free radicals and naturally slows the aging of cells. It´s specifically known its ability to balance cholesterol, repair damaged skin, thicken hair, and balance hormones.
- Magnesium is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps to maintain normal nerve and muscle function, supports a healthy immune system, keeps the heartbeat steady, and helps bones remain strong. It also helps regulate blood glucose levels and aid in the production of energy and protein.
Here are some of our delicious recipes:
- Simple Hazelnut Butter
- Sweetened Hazelnut Milk
- Hazelnut Orange Raspberry Smoothie
- Macadamia Hazelnut Coconut Chocolate Milk
- 4-Ingredient "Nutella" Puff Pastry Twists
- Brain-Boosting Super Nut Butters
Michels A, Leonard S, Uesugi S, et al. Daily Consumption of Oregon Hazelnuts Affects α-Tocopherol Status in Healthy Older Adults: A Pre-Post Intervention Study, The Journal of Nutrition. 2018;148 (12):1924–1930.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. https://www.eatright.org
World Health Organization. Nutrition for Older Persons. https://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/ageing/en/index1.html