Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe from The Blue Zone´s Kitchen cookbook.
From the blue zone of Okinawa, Japan, this sugar cake, called Agarasa, is a famous local specialty that can be enjoyed as a dessert, as a snack, or with morning coffee or tea. Steaming the bread produces a spongy, angel food cake-like texture. We like to top this with a nut butter to add some nourishing nutrients such as plant-protein, heart-healthy fats, fiber, vitamins and minerals to complete this meal whether it´s for breakfast or snack. Enjoy!
For sweet bread
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup hot water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2/3 cup plant-based milk made with the NutraMilk (I used a mixed nut milk I had previously made- recipe below)
For mixed nut milk
- 1/2 cup cashews (we love Sunfood´s brand)
- 1/3 cup macadamia we love Sunfood´s brand)
- ¼ cup brazil nuts (we love Sunfood´s brand)
- Your favorite nut butter made with the NutraMilk (I used peanut butter and chocolate macadamia but butter)
- Fruit of choice (optional)
For cashew, macadamia and Brazil nut milk
- Start by making nutmilk with the NutraMilk:
- Place cashews, macadamia nuts and brazil nuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid, add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense.
- Press Start and open spigot to fill your storage container.
- In a large bowl, mix brown sugar and hot water until sugar dissolves.
- Add flour, baking powder, and soy milk to the dissolved brown sugar. Mix until you get a crumbly texture.
- Spoon the dough into a loaf pan, cupcake tin or ramekins.
- Steam for about 15 minutes in a steamer basket, or until toothpick comes out clean.