February 13, 2020
Sliceable Herbed Cashew Cheese
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Yes, I am vegan.
- 1/3 cup raw cashews or 2 tbsp. of cashew butter
- 1 tbsp+1.5 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 tsp starch of your choice (tapioca/arrowroot/corn)
- 5 tsp agar agar powder
- 1 tbsp. + 2 tsp juice from lemon
- 1/2 cup +1/2 cup water
- herbs of choice (parsley, chives, dill, dried mix of herbs)
- salt-to taste
- In a saucepan, mix Agar Agar in ½ cup water. Set aside.
- Discard the water from cashews. Rinse them really well. Add cashews to a food processor with nutritional yeast, garlic, starch, salt, lemon juice & ½ cup of water. Make a very very smooth paste.
- Add the cashew paste to Agar Agar mixture.
- Bring this to boil on a low-medium heat until it forms a thick pancake-batter consistency.
- Quickly transfer to ramekins or round mold. This quantity makes one full ramekin and another ½ ramekin sized cheeses.
- Refrigerate for an hour. Carefully remove from the ramekin. Mince your herbs of choice and roll sides of cheese with herbs. Enjoy!
- You could add a pinch of turmeric for a deep yellow color.
- Taste check the cashew paste. If you like it to be more tangy, feel free to increase the quantity of lemon juice.
- It will be a think 'jelly' consistency. Not as firm as normal cheese. However, you could hold and grate through a grater. Tastes excellent with crackers.