Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
This dessert will impress even the toughest critics!
A dairy-free custard made from almond milk which is just so rich and creamy, topped with golden layer of caramel sauce. Simply delicious!
- 2 cups vanilla almond milk made with the NutraMilk
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- Slivered or crushed; toasted almonds (optional)
For caramel sauce
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For almond Milk
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds, vanilla and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with almond milk.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place ¾ cup sugar in a saucepan over. Cook without stirring until mixture becomes amber colored. Remove from heat. Lightly coat an 8” cake pan with cooking spray. Pour the caramelized sugar into the pan and set aside to cool. medium-high heat.
*There are various pans you can make a custard in (loaf pan, cake pan, etc.) I used a Bundt pan where you can put it over the heat so I was able to make caramel directly in it. Either way works fine.
- Whisk ½ cup sugar, almond milk, eggs, egg yolks, salt and whisk until well combined. Make sure there is no foam, whisk enough to combine everything. Pour the egg mixture into the prepared pan.
- Place the cake pan in a larger baking pan. Add 1” of hot water to baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes or until center is just set (custard should still jiggle). Remove cake pan from larger pan and transfer to a wire rack; cool for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To unmold, run a knife around edge and invert onto a platter. Top with slivered, toasted almonds if desired. Enjoy!