May 21, 2020
Turmeric Citrus Immune Boosting Tart by Alphafoodie
Images and recipe by Alphafoodie
*Total time 1 hour 15 minutes (Prep time 10 minutes, cook time 5 minutes & Chilling time 1 hour)
- 1.5 cups almonds
- 5 mejdol dates
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1.5 cups full fat coconut cream
- 1.5 cups orange juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp agar agar
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract optional
For Decoration (optional):
- edible flowers dehydrated lemon and blood orange slices, shredded coconut or your favorite toppings.
- First, make the base so it can be refrigerated while preparing the filling. To do this blitz the almonds to in a food processor/blender until you achieve a fine crumb.
- Test the stickiness of the mixture with your hand and it should clump together and hold its shape. If it isn't sticky enough (as the dates can vary in stickiness), then you can add one more date or 1 tbsp. coconut oil. Feel it again and then add more, if needed. (You can soak the dates in hot water for 10 minutes in advance, this will help them to become more ‘sticky’).
- Add the crust dough to a tart pan (8″/20cm). Spread it evenly on the whole surface and press with a flat object (like the bottom of a glass) to level it.
- Leave to chill in the fridge while preparing the orange turmeric filling.
- Mix all the filling ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to soft boil over medium heat. Stir continuously (If you're worried about losing any of the potency of the turmeric due to the heat then you can add it closer to the end so it has less time in the heat).
- When the mixture becomes thicker, remove from the heat.
- Pour the filling over the chilled crust. Set aside to cool down completely. Then place in the fridge so the filling sets completely. Like jello, when set, this tart may slightly wobble with a lot of movement but remain firm.
- Decorate with your favorite topping. I've used edible flowers and dehydrated lemon and blood orange slices.
- You can also decorate with additional fruits of your choice such as tart cherries or even shredded coconut - be creative.
- If I want an extra decadent treat, then I'll often whip up some coconut cream and serve a slice of the orange turmeric tart with the whipped cream and additional fruit.
- To store this tart, keep it within an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. If storing, then it's best to add the toppings just before serving, as these can affect the shelf life.
See full recipe and details here: https://www.alphafoodie.com/turmeric-citrus-immune-boosting-tart/