March 03, 2023
Shamrock Sugar Cookies
Get into St. Patricks spirit with these green shamrock-shaped cookies.
No chemical food coloring used here, just a bit of chlorella powder to get a natural green color. All plant-based, gluten-free ingredients including fresh cashew butter made with the NutraMilk. Happy St. Patricks!
- 1/4 cup cashew butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup any plant-based milk made with the NutraMilk
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
For the icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp. plant-based milk
- 1 tsp. chlorella powder (for natural green coloring)
For cashew butter
- 2 cups (300g) cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Making cashew butter
- Place cashews and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Pre-heat the oven to 360°F/ 180°C.
- In a mixing bowl, add the cashew butter, sugar, and plant-based milk. Use a hand mixer to combine the ingredients.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix again. The ingredients should come together. Use your hands to form a ball. You can use additional flour if it’s too sticky.
- Put the ball of dough into a container or cover in plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
- Put the chilled dough onto a lightly floured parchment paper and roll it out.
- Cut out the cookies and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake them at 360°F/180°C for approximately 8 minutes or until the edges get slightly brown. Let them cool off completely.
- For the icing, beat the powdered sugar with 1 tbsp. of milk using a handheld mixer.. Add in the vanilla extract and 1 more tablespoon of milk and continue mixing until smooth. Only add in the another tablespoon of milk if your icing is not pliable.
- Transfer the icing to a piping bag or plastic zip bag and cut a small piece of the corner to create a tip. Decorate cookies with icing and sprinkles.
- Place them in the fridge for 30 minutes so the icing hardens- Enjoy!
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Elephantastic Vegan.