February 20, 2020
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Bake and Nourish.
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
For the cake:
- 160g unsalted pistachios
- 30g spinach (optional)
- 60g coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract (or a few drops of Backaroma)
- 100g coconut sugar (or organic cane sugar)
- 300ml almond milk (or any other plant-based milk) made with the NutraMilk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 180g flour of choice (you can use gluten-free flour)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
For the topping (optional):
- 20g pistachios, roughly chopped
- 120 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp. of lemon juice
For almond Milk
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with almond milk. Set 300 ml aside for this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a pound cake tin with coconut oil.
- Place pistachios in the NutraMilk and press Butter for 1-2 minutes until you get flour-like consistency.
- Add coconut oil, vanilla extract, almond extract, spinach, sugar, and 180ml of almond milk to the NutraMilk and mix until smooth and creamy.
- In a large bowl, mix 120ml of almond milk with the apple cider vinegar.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the spinach mixture and the dry ingredients to the apple cider milk and fold in gently.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before taking it out from the tin.
- For the topping mix icing sugar with a few drops of lemon juice until smooth and drizzle over the cooled cake and sprinkle with chopped pistachios.