Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Wellness By Kay.
A sweet treat for any occasion! Use pastel colors to decorate for Easter; green & red decor for Christmas or chopped nuts for any day. This delicious recipe is a treat! It obviously contains sugar but we have chosen good ingredients to make it as healthy as possible. First, we brought down quite a bit the amount of sugar that is typically used and we used coconut sugar (plenty sweet) instead of refined white sugar, we used good quality chocolate full of antioxidants and fresh almond milk and peanut butter made with the NutraMilk that are loaded with nourishing nutrients. Enjoy!
- saltine crackers (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk made with the NutraMilk
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup, divided peanut butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil plus ¼ cup, divided
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Decoration of choice (I used pastel colors in the spirit of Easter)
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For peanut butter
- 2 cups (275g) peanuts (untoasted, unsalted)
- pinch salt (optional)
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk (I had some frozen in cubes already)
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Making the peanut butter
- Place peanuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2-3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Set the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Spread out the saltine crackers evenly on the parchment paper.
- Combine the ¼ cup peanut butter, almond milk, coconut sugar, 3 tbsp. coconut oil, and vanilla extract on the stove. Simmer the mixture until it boils a little bit. The mixture should be ready when it turns a darker brown color and thickens up.
- Once done, pour the mixture over the saltine crackers and spread it evenly.
- Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes,
- Mix 1/3 cup peanut butter with ¼ cup coconut oil and spread a layer of peanut butter over the saltine crackers place in refrigerator.
- Meanwhile melt chocolate in the microwave or on the stove in Bain Marie.
- Spread chocolate layer evenly and immediately place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes until the chocolate becomes a bit firm but does not harden completely. At this point you want to decorate with decoration of choice (you can use chopped peanuts as a simple decor if its not Easter) and cut in to square or rectangles.
*You want to do this before chocolate hardens, otherwise the chocolate will crack when you cut it (which is what happened to me) so don’t wait too long.
- Now, you can let the chocolate harden in the fridge for a few hours. Enjoy!