September 30, 2021
Peanut Butter Baked Apples
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Making Thyme For Health.
So many ways to enjoy apples during apple season. Baked apples are a classic. Stuffed with homemade creamy peanut butter made in the NutraMilk and a few other healthy toppings to add flavor and crunch- they make a perfect sweet dessert or snack.
Check out all the nutrients that homemade peanut butter contain, here.
For baked apples
- 4 medium-size apples
- 8 Tbsp. of peanut butter made with the NutraMilk or any other nut butter of choice
- 12 walnuts pieces, chopped (or pecans)
- 1/3 cup raisins (or cranberries or Goji berries)
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup pepitas (or sunflower seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- pure maple syrup for drizzling (omit if keto)
For peanut butter
- 2 cups (275g) peanuts (untoasted, unsalted)
- pinch salt (optional)
- Start by making the peanut butter:
- Place peanuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2-3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry the apples and remove the stems. Using a knife, cut the top 1/2-inch layer off of each apple. If necessary, slice a thin sliver off the bottom so that the apples are level. Careful to cut too much, you want the bottom to be able to hold the filling. From the top of the apple, cut down around the center of the core, leaving about 1-inch in the bottom. Use a spoon to scoop out the core and seeds, until clean.
- Layer one tablespoon peanut butter inside of each apple then top with 1/8th of the walnuts, raisins, coconut, and pumpkin seeds. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon and salt then drizzle with pure maple syrup. Repeat that step until they are stuffed full.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until apples are tender. Serve warm (with coconut milk ice cream, if desired) and enjoy!