September 30, 2022
Peanut Butter Apple Pie
Apples and peanut butter in a pie! What’s not to love?
We love peanut butter and other nut butters because they add so much flavor, creaminess and loads of healthy nutrients to any recipe. So why not add peanut butter to an apple pie?
- 6 cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- ½ cup peanut butter made in the NutraMilk
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 (14.1-ounce) box refrigerated pie crusts (gluten-free option)
- 1 tbsp. milk of choice
- Ice cream for serving, optional
For peanut butter
- 2 cups (275g) peanuts (untoasted, unsalted)
- pinch salt (optional)
- Making the peanut butter
- Place peanuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2-3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, mix apples, ¾ cup sugar, peanut butter, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, and salt.
- Place one pie crust in ungreased 9-inch pie plate.
- Pour apple mixture into crust lined pan, spreading evenly.
- Top filling with remaining crust, sliced into strips to form a lattice. Crimp edges to seal.
- Use any scraps to cut shapes to decorate edges.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake pie on a sheet pan 40 minutes, or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown, covering edge with foil after 20 minutes to prevent excessive browning.
- Cool 2 hours before serving. Serve with ice cream (optional).
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by PeanutButter.com