March 27, 2020
Mini Easter Vegan Cheesecakes
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Whip up these mini scrumptious bird nest cheesecakes with just a few simple ingredients. The recipe below is what I made with what I had at home but there are various other ingredients that can be used to replace what I used. See notes below. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cups almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups raw cashews, previously soaked
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup water
- juice of 1 lemon + zest
- 1/2 cup pure light maple syrup, agave nectar (or honey if not vegan)
- 1 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- mini egg chocolates and or candies
Make the crust
- Add nuts to the NutraMilk and Press ¨Mix¨ for 1 minute or less until nuts are broken down to nut meal.
- Add dates and press ¨Mix¨ until a loose though is formed. It should stick together when you squeeze a bit between your fingers. If it’s too dry, add a few more date. If too wet, add more almond or walnut meal.
- Using a cupcake pan preferable a silicone one, press the mixture into the bottom evenly and set aside.
To make the filling:
- Make cashew nut butter first:
- Place cashews and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Add all the rest of filling ingredient in the NutraMilk along with cashew butter and Press ¨Mix¨ for one minute or until a very smooth mixture forms.
- Pour over the bases in the cupcake pan. Tap the pan gently to let it settle. Place straight into the freezer until hard- about 4-6 hours. If you want, you can make them ahead of time and keep them frozen.
- To toast the coconut: spread in an even layer on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven at 325°F, stirring every 5 minutes, until golden. This should take 10-15 minutes. Watch closely because the coconut can go from golden to burnt in an instant.
- When ready take out of the freezer and decorate with toasted coconut and mini eggs. Serve immediately and enjoy this sweet creamy treat!
*The crust can be made with any combination of nuts or just one nut, you can also use rolled oats. Dates hold the crust together but you can also use a combination of almond butter and maple syrup instead of dates. The important thing is that you get a loose dough that should stick together when you squeeze a bit between your fingers. So you can add more or less of a dry ingredient if it´s too sticky and more dates or almond butter/maple syrup (or agave nectar/honey) if it´s to dry.
*The key ingredient for the filling is the cashew butter- you can use coconut milk instead of coconut oil. Instead of lemon you can use any fruit to flavor, such as berries.