Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Chocolate Covered Katie.
You need homemade pecan pie for the holidays! This gluten free pecan pie variation uses nut butter for the cookie oat flour crust and the filling as well as molasses which adds depth and the dark color. If you don’t happen to like the taste of molasses you can substitute for maple syrup. Enjoy!
For gluten free crust
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour (you can make oat flour with with the NutraMilk from oats)
- 1/3 cup (85g) nut/seed butter made with the NutraMilk (I used peanut peanut butter)
- 1/4 cup (90g) maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt1/4 cup (60g) water
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp. molasses, blackstrap or regular
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
- 2-3 tbsp. nut butter of choice made with the NutraMilk
- 1/4 cup flaxmeal whisked into 1/3 cup water
- 1-2 tbsp. bourbon OR 1 additional tbsp. water
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- optional 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, pinch nutmeg, etc.
- optional pecans for garnish
For peanut butter
- 2 cups (275g) peanuts (untoasted, unsalted)
- pinch salt (optional)
- Making the peanut butter
- Place peanuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2-3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- For the crust, combine everything except water in a large mixing bowl. Mix/knead adding water as needed to form a sticky ball of dough.
- Roll out the dough between two pieces of wax or parchment paper. Use one piece of paper to flip the crust into a pie pan (I spray mine with coconut oil first just to be safe!)
- Press into the pan and crimp the edges. Set aside.
- For the pecan pie: Whisk together all ingredients except optional garnish, and let sit at least 30 minutes in the fridge, during which time it will thicken thanks to the flaxmeal. (If the flax is good, the mixture will be noticeably thicker when you take it out.) Preheat oven to 350 F. Pour filling into a crust.
- Arrange the optional extra pecans over top if desired. Bake on the center rack 35 minutes, then do not open the oven door but let sit in the now-turned-off oven an additional 10 minutes. Enjoy!