Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Chocolate Covered Katie.
Homemade Oreos are easy to make and much better than the additive-filled store-bought version. These are gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and filled with a sweet, silky cashew icing made fresh with the NutraMilk. Enjoy these delicious cookies with a fresh glass of plant-based milk or use the crumbles as an ice cream topping!
For Oreo cookie dough
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 3/4 cup almond meal made with the NutraMilk
- 1/3 cup dutch cocoa powder*
- 1/4 cup cup unrefined or regular sugar, or xylitol for sugar-free
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable or coconut oil
- 3 tbsp. plant-milk of choice made with the NutraMilk
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
For cashew filling
- ½ cup cashew butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup (or sub any other sweetener)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
For cashew butter
- 2 cups (300g) cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Start by making cashew butter and filling
- Place cashews and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Leave ½ cup of cashew butter in the NutraMilk for filling and store the rest for later use.
- Add remaining cashew filling ingredients to the NutraMilk and ¨Mix¨ until all is well-combined.
- For the Oreos, combine first 6 cookie ingredients, and stir very well.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients for the cookies.
- Mix wet into dry to form a dough, then refrigerate 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Roll into a thin dough, and cut flat circles using a circle cutter or a circle-shaped lid. Bake on a greased cookie tray for 10 minutes; they’ll still look a little underdone when they come out of the oven, but that’s okay. It’s important to allow them to cool 10 minutes before removing from the tray, as they firm up during this time.
- Put about a teaspoon on half or so of the cashew filllig on half of the cookies, then top each with remaining cookie discs and refrigerate to set. Store in the fridge so the filling stays hard.
Notes: *you can use regular cacao but the color will not be the same. You can also add 2 tablespoons of activated charcoal to regular cacao to darken the color.