Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Rhians Recipes.
These gluten free cookies are crammed with real goodies like protein, healthy fats, fiber and various vitamins and minerals from the almonds in the dough and cashew icing. Add some colorful sprinkles to get into the holiday spirit. Enjoy!
- 1/8 cup coconut oil (or sub coconut butter), melted
- 10 maple syrup (or sub any other similar sweetener)
- 3 tbsp. almond milk (or any other plant-based milk) made with the NutraMilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup ground almonds (almond meal) made with the NutraMIlk
- 1 ¼ cup gluten-free flour blend plus more for rolling (or sub rice flour, or plain flour if not gluten-free)
- 1 tsp. baking powder (ensure gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/ 2 cup cashew butter made with the NutraMilk
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp. raw honey or other sweetener such as maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2-4 tbsp. water, as needed for blending
For cashew butter
- 2 cups (300g) cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Making cashew butter
- Place cashews and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Leave ½ cup cashew butter in the NutraMilk for the icing and store the rest for later use.
- Combine all icing ingredients, except water in the NutraMilk and blend until smooth and creamy, adding water as necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- Adjust flavor to taste, then transfer to a bowl and chill in the freezer for at least an hour, to allow the icing to thicken. The longer it chills, the thicker it will get!
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Place almonds into the NutraMilk and grind to a flour (Mix for 1 minute). Set aside.
- Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, milk and vanilla in a large bowl and mix well.
- Measure out the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Lay out a sheet of greaseproof baking paper on a counter. Sprinkle the surface of the paper and a rolling pin with a generous amount of flour and roll out the cookie dough until about 5mm/1/4 inch thick
- Use a circular cookie cutter to cut shapes out of the dough - you will probably have to roll the dough a few times until you use it all up.
- Transfer the cookies onto two baking trays/baking sheets lined with greased baking paper.
- Bake in oven for around 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.
- They will be slightly soft when you remove them from the oven - leave to cool completely to let them harden before applying the frosting.
- Spoon the icing over your favorite baked goods, sprinkle decorations of choice and serve immediately! (Keep the frosted treats chilled, if not serving immediately.)