January 21, 2021
Gluten-Free Cookie Hearts with Nut Butter and Jelly
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Heavenlynn Healthy.
Healthy gluten-free, heart cookies!
You must try this recipe out! These delicious gluten free cookies are nutty and tasty and filled with your favorite nut butter and jelly for a mouthwatering snack.
Enjoy them with a glass of plant-based milk made with the NutraMIlk, coffee or tea! Enjoy!
- 1 cup of oats (gluten free certifies if necessary)
- 1 cup of buckwheat flour (or gluten free flour mix)
- ½ cup of ground almonds
- 1 cup of coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup of extra-virgin coconut oil
- 3 tbsp. of peanut butter or any nut butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1 tbsp. of of ice water
- 1 tbsp. of chia seeds + 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tsp. of aluminum-free baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup almond butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam or preserves of choice
For almond butter
- 2 cups (300g) almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Making almond butter for the filling
- Place almond and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 12-13 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Take out and set aside 1/3 cup for recipes and store the rest for later.
- Place the oats into the NutraMilk and grind to a flour (Mix for 1 minute). Set aside.
- Place almonds into the NutraMilk and grind to a flour (Mix for 1 minute or less). Set aside.
- Place the chia seeds and water into a small bowl, stir and set aside to thicken for about 10 minutes. Stir it at least once again.
- Add coconut sugar, peanut butter, chia-mix, melted coconut oil, the inside of the vanilla bean to the NutraMilk and mix until well combined, for about 30 seconds to one minute.
- Now add the ground oats, ground almonds, gluten free flour and mix well. If the dough is too dry, add one tablespoon of ice-cold water.
- Place the dough into the fridge for one hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- Place the dough on the kitchen counter that you sprinkled with gluten free flour. Knead it quickly, then roll out the dough with a rolling pin.
- Take half of the dough and using 1 large heart-shaped cookie cutter and a smaller one, cut out hearts rerolling scraps of dough as needed. Use smaller heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out small hearts from the center of large hearts. With the other half of the dough cut out just the larger hearts.
- Place the heart cookies onto a baking sheet aligned with baking paper and bake for 8 - 12 minutes. Be sure to check them after 8 minutes to determine the final baking time. They burn quickly.
- Let the cookies cool for a bit, then place about half a teaspoon of nut butter and half teaspoon of strawberry jam on the cookies without the whole in them. Place the cookies with the heart whole on top of the jam and nut butter and gently press them down. Enjoy!