Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
The perfect spring dessert! It's fresh, sweet, creamy and nutty thanks to the almond meal and almond butter made with the NutraMilk. It's super easy to put together and makes a great snack or dessert! Made with natural healthy ingredients - this dessert is vegan, paleo-friendly, gluten free & dairy free. Enjoy!
Check out the health benefits of almonds here.
- 1/8 cup coconut oil
- 2/3 cup almond meal made with the NutraMilk
- 2/3 cup gluten-free flour blend
- 7 tablespoons water
- 1 lb. strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup almond butter made with the NutraMilk
- 2 tbsp. sugar or sweetener of choice (you can choose to omit or use zero-calorie sweetener)
- zest of half a lime (optional)
- juice of ½ a lime (optional)
For almond butter
- 2 cups (300g) almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Making almond butter
- Place almond and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 12-13 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
For the pastry:
- Place strawberries in a bowl with sugar and lime juice and set aside while you prepare the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl along until it forms a firm dough - add the water a few tablespoons at a time so that you don’t add too much!
- Lay out a sheet of greased baking paper on a counter and use a rolling pin to roll out the pastry dough into an oval shape as thin as you can, making sure it’s smooth at the edges. You can use a large plate if you´d like and cut around the edges to get an even circle or oval-either one works.
- Pick up the baking paper and use it to transfer the sheet of pastry onto a rectangular baking tray.
- Spread a layer of almond butter on the pastry dough leaving about 1 in (2cm) all the way around. Arrange strawberries on top of almond butter.
- Fold the margin of pastry crust over, by picking up the edges of the baking paper until the filling as been completely tucked into the pastry on all sides.
- Use your fingers to carefully apply coconut sugar on top of the edges of the pastry, if desired.
- Bake in oven for around 30 minutes, until the pastry crust is firm to the touch and golden brown.
- Tastes best eaten warm from the oven but keeps covered in the fridge for up to a few days.