Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe adapted from The Full Helping.
Servings: 12 servings
For peanut butter
- 2 cups (275g) peanuts (untoasted, unsalted)
- pinch salt (optional)
- 2 cups (240 g) unbleached, all-purpose flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1/2 cup (50 g) cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp. (170 g) cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups (10 fluid oz.) cold water
- 1 tsp apple cider or white vinegar
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup (2.66 fluid oz.) neutral vegetable oil (such as safflower, grapeseed, canola, or refined avocado)
- ¾ cup peanut butter made with the NutraMilk
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2-4 tbsp. almond milk or any other plant-based milk
Making the peanut butter
- Place peanuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2-3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- Set aside ¾ cup of peanut butter for the recipe and store the rest for later use.
Making chocolate muffins
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Lightly oil or line a muffin/cupcake baking sheet.
- To prepare the cake, whisk the flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the water, vinegar, vanilla, and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until batter is shiny and smooth (a few tiny lumps are OK, but do mix until the mixture looks glossy).
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until the cupcakes have firm tops and a toothpick inserted into one of them emerges clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer them to a wire cooling rack and allow them to cool entirely before decorating.
Making peanut frosting
- Bring coconut oil to room temperature so it is softened or slightly melted.
- Add coconut oil and peanut butter to the bowl of your standing mixer (or with a handheld mixer) and beat on medium speed until well combined, scraping down the sides a few times to be sure there are no chunks of coconut oil left.
- Add vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add powdered sugar and salt. Beat on medium/high speed until well combined, scraping sides to ensure it’s mixed evenly.
- Add almond milk and beat until light and fluffy. Serve on top of your favorite bars, brownies or muffins.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature (if you will be eating that day) or in the refrigerator. Just take it out and let it come to room temperature before serving or using to decorate.