Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose baking flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 7 tbsp. vegan butter, cold
- 1 egg large or vegan egg substitute*
- pinch sea salt
- 3-5 tbsp. cold water
Cherry Pie Filling
- 2 cups cherries, chopped and pitted
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tbsp. +1 tsp. water, divided
- 1 tsp. cornstarch or 2 tsp. tapioca starch
For peanut butter filling (or any other nut butter you like)*
- 2 cups (275g) peanuts (untoasted, unsalted)
- pinch salt (optional)
For egg wash (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
Chocolate drizzle (optional)
- ¾ cup chocolate chips or chocolate bar (chopped), vegan
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- First, start by making the peanut butter for the filling
- Place peanuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2-3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Next, make the cherry pie filling first, add the chopped pitted cherries to a medium sized sauce pan. Heat on medium low. Add the sugar and 2 Tbsp of water.
- Simmer/saute for about 10 minutes or until the liquid starts to thicken.
- Now, whisk together the remaining 1 tsp of water and the cornstarch in a small bowl. Then add it to the cherries. Stir to combine.
- Simmer for a few more minutes until the cherry mixture has thickened up. It will thicken more as it cools. Remove from heat and let it cool all the way.
- Make the dough: place all the ingredients (except the water) into the NutraMilk and ¨Mix¨ until combined. Add 2 tablespoons of cold water and ¨Mix¨ just until the dough starts to come together. Resist the urge to add more water or this will result in a less flaky dough.
- Pack the dough together into a disc and then place it between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll the dough out until it's roughly 1/8 " in thickness and use a 2" round cookie cutter to cut out as many circles as you can. Repeat until you have used all the dough.
- Place half of the circles onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper about 1-2 inches apart. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of cherry filling and 1 teaspoon of peanut butter into the center. Use a fork to press the edges together. Whisk together the egg wash and brush it over the pop tarts. Bake the pop tarts for 24-27 minutes and the edges are golden brown at 350 F. Let cool.
- If you decide to add chocolate, you can use any chocolate you have on hand and melt in the microwave with a little bit o coconut oil and drizzle over hand pies. Allow to cool and enjoy!
*If vegan, use chia or flax egg substitute.
* I did half with peanut butter and half with cashew butter.
Recipe inspired by Peanut Butter Plus Chocolate.