Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Power Hungry.
No need to give up crème brulee if your on a dairy-free or egg-free diet. This vegan crème brulee is so deliciously rich and makes a perfect elegant holiday dessert!
- 1/3 cup cashew butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1 can (13.5 oz) full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) natural cane sugar
- 1 tbsp. tapioca starch (see notes for options)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- Optional: large pinch of ground turmeric (for yellow color)
- Additional cane sugar for topping
For cashew butter
- 2 cups (300g) cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Making cashew butter
- Place cashews and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Leave 1/3 cup in the Nutramilk for recipe, store the rest for later use.
- Preheat oven to 300F (150C). Spray or lightly oil four small (6 ounce) ramekins or ceme brulee dishes. Place the ramekins in a shallow baking dish.
- Add coconut milk, sugar, tapioca starch, vanilla, salt, and optional turmeric to the cashew butter in the NutraMilk. Process until completely smooth.
- Pour the cashew mixture into a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat. Cook and whisk for for about 3 to 4 minutes until small bubbles appear and the mixture thickens slightly.
- Evenly divide the creme brulee mixture into the prepared ramekins. Fill the shallow dish with hot water until it reaches halfway up the ramekins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 33 to 38 minutes until the puddings are just set (they should jiggle slightly when moved).
- Remove the puddings from the water bath and cool completely on a wire rack. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill until cold (at least 4 hours or up to overnight).
- When ready to be served, sprinkle each crème brulee with a layer of sugar about 1/8 inch thick and caramelize with a kitchen torch, the torch quickly over the sugar until it is caramelized (see notes for using broiler instead). Serve immediately.
To caramelize in the broiler: Position a rack to the highest place in the oven (4 to 6 inches from heat source) and preheat broiler to HIGH. Place the chilled crème brulees on a baking sheet and top with sugar, as directed. Broil, watching closely, for 30 to 90 seconds until the sugar is caramelized.