September 30, 2021
Almond Butter Toffee Apples
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
A more appealing way to enjoy apples or incorporate fruits for those that are not fruit lovers. Your kids will love this idea, get them involved in creating these with their favorite toppings.
Apples are full of vitamins, especially vitamin C, antioxidants and fiber (pectin). Covered in a natural almond date-based caramel sauce –they are irresistible!
- 4 large crisp apples
- 4 craft sticks (wooden)
For the ‘toffee’:
- 10 Medjool dates
- 3-4 tbsp. plant-based milk of choice made with the NutraMilk
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. almond butter made with the NutraMilk
- 4 tbsp. agave syrup, honey, maple syrup or monk fruit sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- 100g toasted nuts
For almond butter
- 2 cups (300g) almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Making almond butter
- Place almond and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 12-13 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Line a baking sheet and set aside.
- Place lightly toasted chopped nuts in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the dates to a small pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil on the stove.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer the dates for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain the water from the dates.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the toffee sauce in the NutraMilk. Process until the caramel sauce is smooth, If the sauce is too thick, add another tablespoon or two of agave syrup and/or non-dairy milk.
- Pour the sauce in a small bowl for dipping.
- Insert a craft stick into each apple
- Roll the apples around in the toffee sauce.
- Set the apples on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the caramel apples in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to set.
- Then dip the bottoms of the apples in the chopped nuts.
- Return to the refrigerator to set for another 10 minutes or until serving.
Recipe inspired by Biona Organics.