December 08, 2022
Almond Butter Candy Cane Sugar Cookies
It´s holiday cookie season! These sugar cookies are delicious, made with almond butter instead of dairy butter and plant-based milk- they are rich, sweet and have a subtle almond flavor. Dairy-free and gluten-free. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup almond butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup any plant-based milk made with the NutraMilk
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
For the icing
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp. almond milk
- red sprinkles to decorate
For almond butter
- 2 cups (300g) almonds
- Making almond butter
- Place almond and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 12-13 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Pre-heat the oven to 360°F/ 180°C.
- In a mixing bowl, add the almond butter, sugar, and rice milk. Use a hand mixer to combine the ingredients.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix again. The ingredients should come together. Use your hands to form a ball. You can use additional flour if it’s too sticky.
- Put the ball of dough into a container or cover in plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
- Put the chilled dough onto a lightly floured parchment paper and roll it out.
- Cut out the cookies and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake them at 360°F/180°C for approximately 8 minutes or until the edges get slightly brown. Let them cool off completely.
- For the icing, beat the butter using a handheld mixer. Add in the powdered sugar and mix until well combined. Add in the vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of almond milk and continue mixing until smooth. Only add in the second tablespoon of almond milk if your icing is not pliable. Transfer half of the icing to a piping bag or plastic zip bag and cut a small piece of the corner to create a tip. Decorate cookies with icing and sprinkles. Place them in the fridge for 30 minutes so the icing hardens- Enjoy!
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Elephantastic Vegan.