Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Spice Cravings.
This rich and creamy Indian curry sauce wont let you down! It acts a base for vegetables, chickpeas or protein of choice. Make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge or in the freezer to have on hand when you are craving a delicious curry.
The key ingredient here is the cashew which adds richness and flavor and so many nutrients to this sauce.
For more information about the health benefits of cashews click here.
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 1 medium onion or leek, coarsely chopped/sliced
- 1 tbsp. garlic 3 cloves, crushed or minced
- 1 tbsp. ginger 1-inch piece, minced or grated
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz can, or, 4-5 Ripe Roma tomatoes
- ⅓ cup curry cashew sauce made with the NutraMilk (you can also use cashew butter made with the NutraMilk)
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. graham masala
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1½ tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. Kashmiri red chili powder (or paprika for mild curry)
- ¼ tsp. cardamom powder 5-6 pods, de-seeded and crushed
- 2 tsp. dried fenugreek (Kasoori Methi)
- 1 tsp. butter (optional)
- 1 tsp. agave (or honey/sugar), adjust as needed (optional)
- Heat a heavy bottom pot on medium-high heat, add add butter (ghee or oil of choice) and chopped onions, cook for 3 minutes, till they soften.
- Add minced garlic, ginger and sauté for one minute. Add tomatoes, spices, cashew curry sauce or cashew butter and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add water and stir well. When the sauce comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover the pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Stir a few times to prevent the sauce from sticking to the bottom. If it looks dry, add a little water and continue cooking.
- Wait a for the sauce to cool down a bit and pour into the NutraMilk. ¨Mix¨ until the sauce has a smooth consistency.
- Add dried fenugreek and butter. Simmer uncovered for 2-3 minutes. Add agave or a little sugar to balance the flavors. If not using immediately, cool and store for later.