Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Simple Mills.
Something different than your classic pesto. This vegan recipe uses nutritional yeast for that umami cheesy flavor instead of parmesan cheese. The nutty/earthy flavor comes from our fresh homemade sunflower butter made with the NutraMilk and we chose to add some kale along with the traditional basil to add all the health benefits of a cruciferous veggie. This makes for a perfect spread on crispy toast/bruschetta, a sandwich, or a sauce for pasta, stir-fries, baked veggies, etc. Enjoy!
- 2 cups kale, packed
- 1 cup basil
- 1/3 cup sprouted sunflower seed butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
For Sunflower butter
- 2 cups raw or sprouted sunflower seeds (270g)
- 1 tbsp. of sunflower oil or other oil of choice (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Start by making sunflower butter
- Place sunflower seeds and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 14-15 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 2-3 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Add kale, basil, sunflower seeds, nutritional yeast, olive oil, garlic cloves, salt and pepper to the NutraMilk and process until a chunky pesto is formed. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking. Enjoy!