Roasted Butternut Squash Soup With Hemp Milk
The cold weather is here and there is no better way to warm up your day than with a bowl of delicious creamy butternut squash soup. This dairy-free recipe is warming, tasty and nutritious!
Roasting the butternut squash will really bring out its rich flavor and makes a perfect ingredient for a thick winter soup, packed with vitamin C and vitamin A (beta-carotenes) that will protect your body from colds and the flu.
Combining the squash with fresh homemade hemp milk- adds even a creamier and richer taste and texture (no need for cream here) and a lot of healthy nutrients such as omega 3 fatty acids, complete protein (a great source for vegans), b-complex vitamins, and more.
- 2/3 (84g) cup hemp seeds for hemp milk made with the NutraMilk
- 1 quart of water (946ml) for hemp milk made with the NutraMilk
- 2 medium butternut squash
- 4 fat garlic cloves
- olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 tsp stock powder or cube
- 600ml fresh hemp milk made with the NutraMilk
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- yogurt (coconut or dairy)
- red chili flakes
- Start by making fresh hemp milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place hemp seeds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 2 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container, add water. Replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense.
- Press Start and open spigot to fill your storage container.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and line large baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place butternut squash, sliced in half lengthwise face-up on the baking tray. Drizzle over a generous amount of olive oil, the rosemary, salt and pepper and rub into the squash with your hands. Wrap the garlic cloves in tinfoil and add to the tray. Roast in the oven for about one hour, until it is tender and completely cooked through.
- Once the squash is cool enough to handle, scoop out the seeds and discard them. Scoop the flesh into the NutraMilk container, include the rosemary leaves as well.
- Meanwhile, heat a large drizzle of olive oil and saute the onion for about 10 minutes on a low/medium heat with a pinch of salt and black pepper until soft and starting to caramelize. Add the onion to the squash.
- Add the milk as well as the stock, press mix and puree the soup until smooth. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and add more hemp milk as necessary for the soup consistency you like.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt. Garnish with hemp seeds and chili flakes.