Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Erica Julson.
Pestos are so incredibly versatile. Spread it on sandwiches or crackers/crostini for an appetizer, toss it with pasta/zoodles, rice, or any other grain; dollop it on grilled veggies, stir-fries, pizza, burgers or use it to add extra flavor to soups, tofu scrambles, or pretty any much any dish. Pesto on everything!
This recipe variation features some creamy avocado with all it´s heart-healthy fats and nutrients, homemade hemp seed butter which is loaded with vitamins and minerals as well as its unique fatty acid profile that helps fight inflammation and all the rest of the wholesome ingredients which come together to add extra nutrition, flavor and texture.
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup lightly packed basil
- 1/2 cup hemp seed butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbps. lemon zest
- 1 tbps. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper, plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast (optional), plus extra for serving (optional) (or replace with grated parmesan cheese, if desired and not vegan.
- Maldon sea salt, for serving
- High quality extra virgin olive oil, for serving
For hemp seed butter
- 2 cups hemp seeds (250g)
- 1/8 tsp. Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Making Hemp seed butter
- Place hemp seeds and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional minute for a creamier butter.
- Leave 1/3 cup of hemp seed butter in the NutraMilk for pesto and store the rest in container for later use.
- Add the rest of the pesto ingredients in the NutraMilk and process until smooth.