Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk Nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe from Deliciously Ella.
This vibrantly colored and flavorful soup in incredibly nutritious and delicious. Beets are packed with health-boosting nutrients. Aside from many vitamins and minerals, they contain betaine which helps fight inflammation and nitrates which in the body get converted to nitrate oxide - helping relax and dilate your blood vessels, improving blood flow and lowering blood pressure as well as possibly boosting athletic performance.
Almond milk not only makes this soup super creamy and satisfying but adds protein, heart-healthy fats, vitamin E and many other healthy nutrients.
- 1 cup almonds (150 g) for homemade almond milk
- 5 quarts water (1.4L) for homemade almond milk
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- Olive oil
- 4 cooked beetroots, roughly chopped
- A pinch of dried chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon powder or 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 750ml almond milk made with the NutraMilk
- 1 teaspoon almond butter made with the NutraMilk
- Salt and pepper
- Handful of almonds (about 20g), toasted
- Plain yogurt (dairy or non-dairy such as coconut) to serve
- Handful of herbs to serve such as parsley, dill, or coriander sprigs (optional)
Making Almond Milk
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid. At this point you can take out 1 teaspoon of almond butter for the recipe if you dont have a batch of almond butter already made. Then add water. Replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense
- Place the onion and garlic in a large pan over a medium heat, with a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until soft. Add the beetroot and cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chili flakes, bouillon powder (or stock cube), lemon juice, maple syrup and almond milk. Bring to a boil, before lowering the heat and leaving to simmer for 35-40 minutes, until the beetroot is soft. Once soft, remove from the heat, add the almond butter, and blitz using a hand blender until smooth.
- Spoon the soup into small bowls and serve with a sprinkle of chopped almonds, a dollop of yogurt and some fresh herbs.