April 10, 2020
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Happy Earth Day! We can all contribute more to take care of our planet- one way is to reduce food waste- start using food scraps for recipes. Many veggies scraps can be used to make soups or broths. And how about this idea, to not let your broccoli stalks (which sometimes are just as big as the florets) go to waste: A vegan version of your classic coleslaw. Using broccoli stalks instead of cabbage. That´s right! Once you peel the broccoli stalk, the center is soft and when shredded or julienned, it makes the perfect ingredient for coleslaw. Made with our vegan mayonnaise, it´s a great side salad for many dishes this spring!
- 2 carrots, julienned
- Stems from 3 pounds of broccoli, peeled and julienned (3 cups)
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise made with the NutraMilk
- 1 tbsp. honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
For almond milk (for mayonnaise recipe)
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- 1 cup (220g) sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup (120ml) simple almond milk made with the NutraMilk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- salt to taste
- Start by making mayonnaise with the NutraMilk. There are several ways to make vegan mayonnaise. Check here for the instructions of two easy ways. I chose to use almond milk to make my mayonnaise because it´s what I had on hand. In this case, you would make almond milk first, if you don’t already have it made and then emulsify it with oil of choice.
For almond milk
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid, add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense
- For mayonnaise
- Blend nut milk and oil - adding the oil gradually until ingredients emulsify and you have a thick and creamy consistency. After you have reached a creamy consistency add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined. Notes:
- Combine mayonnaise, honey, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk together. If you want the dressing to be sweeter, add another tablespoon of honey or maple syrup if vegan.
- Add a little bit of the dressing to the sliced broccoli and carrots, then toss. Slowly add more dressing until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
- Serve and enjoy!