October 28, 2022
It´s pumpkin season –they are everywhere! So many recipes we can use fresh pumpkin for.
Nuggets are a perfect example! These are delicious- they make a great side dish for the holidays or for any meal of the week. Your kids will love these. Give them a try!
- 1/2 hokkaido pumpkin or sugar pumpkin (=2 cups/280g pumpkin chunks)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil for the pan
For the batter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk of choice made with the NutraMilk (I used cashew pumpkin milk)
- 1 tbsp. nut butter (almond, cashew or cashew pumpkin butter are good choices)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
For the breading
- 1/2 cup panko flakes* (regular or gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs * (regular or gluten-free)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. paprika powder
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
For cashew pumpkin milk
- 1/2 cup (75g) cashews
- 1/3 cup (45g) pumpkin seeds
- 1/8 tsp. Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Start by making fresh cashew pumpkin butter & milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place cashews & pumpkin seeds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 3 minutes. Press Start.
- Open container lid. If, necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter. Take out 1 tablespoon for recipe and continue to make milk.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense.
- Press Start and open spigot to fill your storage container.
- Cut the pumpkin in half. Spoon out the seeds.
- Cut them into rings. Peel them using a veggie peeler. Then cut them into chunks.
- Boil the pumpkin in a pot with water until they get softer (approx. 10 minutes), they shouldn't be too mushy, though.
- Strain and drain the boiled pumpkin bites. Let them cool off.
- Mix the ingredients for the batter in one bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the ingredients for the breading.
- Dip them into the batter first, then toss them in the breadcrumbs until they are evenly coated.
- Heat a pan with olive oil, and pan-fry the pumpkin pieces over medium to high heat on each side until they are nicely golden. Let them cool off a bit before serving. Enjoy!
Notes: you can sub panko flakes for fine breadcrumbs and vice versa, but a combination of both is giving a better texture and is making sure they are nicely coated.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Elephantastic Vegan.