March 01, 2022
Green Irish Soda Bread
Get into St. Patrick´s spirit with green bread. Yes! green bread. The color comes from fresh spinach, this bread is easy to make and super tasty! Enjoy!
- 3 cups all purpose flour (can sub for gluten-free flour blend)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup pumpkin seed milk or other plant-based milk made with the NutraMilk
- 4 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 125g fresh spinach (about two cups, packed)
- rolled oats, sunflower seeds, or caraway seeds for sprinkling on top
For pumpkin seed milk
- 2/3 cup pumpkin seeds (90 g)
- 1 quart water (946 mL)
- pinch of Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Start by making pumpkin seed milk
- Place pumpkin seeds and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid, add water. Replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change this default time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense.
- Press Start and open spigot to fill your storage container. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the NutraMilk, combine pumpkin seed milk, vinegar, and spinach leaves and blend until completely smooth.
- Pour all but about 1 tablespoon of the spinach and milk mix into the flour. Using a spatula or spoon stir into the flour just until combined.
- Divide the dough into three to make small, 6-inch loaves. Toss some extra flour onto your balls of dough and transfer them to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten them just slightly so that they bakes evenly and slash an "X" into the tops with a knife. Don't go too deep, just a surface slash. If you are sprinkling anything on top, use that remaining tablespoon of spinach/milk mixture to brush on the loaves before sprinkling the toppings.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the bottoms are slightly browned and the tops feel crusty.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Be sure to throw a clean dish towel over them and let them cool down under it. This will ensure that the loaves stay tender. Enjoy them with nut butter of choice made in the NutraMIlks, preserves, or olive oil, avocado, etc.
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Lands & Flavors.