October 27, 2019
Green Bean Casserole
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Minimalist Baker.
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- 1 pound green beans (rinsed, trimmed and cut in half)
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth - I used frozen vegetable broth that I previously made with the NutraMilk
- 1 cup simple almond milk made with the NutraMilk
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter or olive oil
- 1 medium shallot (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms (button, baby bella, or cremini)
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour (you can also use a gluten-free flour)
- 1 1/2 cups crispy fried onions (divided)
- Sea salt and black pepper
For almond Milk
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with almond milk.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Bring a large pot of water with salt to a boil and add green beans to cook for 5 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, start preparing sauce. In a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat, add vegan butter or olive oil and shallots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add mushrooms and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes more or until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk to stir and coat the veggies. Cook for 1 minute, then slowly add in veggie stock, whisking to incorporate.
- Add almond milk next and whisk to stir again, then reduce heat to low to thicken, about 5-7 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Remove from heat and add 1/3 of the fried onions and all of the cooked green beans. Toss to coat well, and top with remaining fried onions.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until warmed through and bubbly and slightly browned on top. Serve immediately. Enjoy!