Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Baked eggplants filled with this savory walnut spread makes an elegant starter or light dinner.
Walnuts contain the highest amount of antioxidants than any other nut and are known for their anti-inflammatory omega-3 content. Using the walnut butter for spreads and sauces is a great way to add flavor, texture and healthy nutrients to many dishes.
For more information about the health benefits of walnuts, click here.
For eggplant rolls
- 3 medium-sized eggplants
- cooking spray or oil of choice
- ½ cup walnut butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt of choice (dairy-free or regular)
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp. walnut oil
- salt & black pepper to taste
For walnut butter
- 2 cups (210g) raw walnuts
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- First, start by making walnut butter
- Place walnuts and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Keep ½ cup of walnut butter in the NutraMilk and store the rest for later use.
- Add yogurt, mustard, garlic, walnut oil, salt and pepper to the walnut butter in the NutraMilk. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 180 ºC (350 ºF). Slice your eggplants lengthwise with a sharp knife. Spray the baking tray with cooking spray or lightly oil and arrange eggplant slices on it. You may need more than one baking tray for this amount of eggplants. Lightly spray the tops of the eggplant slices with cooking spray or lightly oil, then sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Bake 15 minutes, then flip them over and bake for 15 minutes more
- Fill each eggplant slice with 1 tablespoon of the walnut mixture and roll. Optional: garnish with pomegranate seeds. Enjoy!