November 05, 2020
Dairy-Free Creamed Spinach
This easily made creamed spinach recipe is a perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday table. It´s dairy-free, yet rich and creamy thanks to the fresh cashew milk made with the NutraMilk. Not only do cashews add flavor and a rich creamy texture, but also loads of healthy nutrients such as zinc, copper, magnesium and antioxidants such as ¨Zeaxanthin¨ which promotes eye health; as well fiber and the important macronutrients: plant-protein and heart- healthy fats. We love to make heathy and delicious recipes!
For creamed spinach
- 1 lb fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups cashew milk made with the NutraMilk
- 5 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. gluten free all purpose flour*
- 1 pinch nutmeg optional
For cashew milk
- 1 cup (150g) cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For cashew Milk
- Start by making fresh cashew milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place cashews in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid, add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense.
- Press Start and open spigot to fill your storage container, set aside 2 cups for this recipe.
- Preheat your largest skillet over medium low heat. Add about a tablespoon of water or a light drizzle of olive oil and sauté the spinach with a pinch of sea salt until wilted. Toss often and as soon as the spinach releases its water transfer to a colander to drain well.
- Meanwhile in a medium sauce pan whisk together the cashew milk, flour, nutritional yeast, onion and garlic powders until combined. Season with the sea salt and bring to a simmer whisking continuously until thick and creamy, approximately 5 minutes or so.
- Remove the cream sauce from heat and gently fold in the sautéed spinach. Taste and adjust seasonings with more sea salt. Add a little pinch of freshly grated nutmeg to taste. Enjoy!
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Veggie Society.