February 02, 2023
Creamy Beet Salad
This pretty pink salad is deliciously creamy and good for your heart.
Beets are a nutrient dense vegetable that is particularly beneficial for the cardiovascular system, thanks to a combination of compounds that are able to enhance blood flow, improve the health of arteries, support lower homocysteine levels and reduce LDL cholesterol.
Combined with a homemade almond dressing with all the hearth healthy nutrients that almonds provide, this makes a perfect heart-healthy side dish!
- 6 beets
- ½ cup almonds or cashews
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- 1 tbsp. fresh dill
- ½-¾ cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice, fresh
- Place almond and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 12-13 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- Add garlic, water, vegetable oil, mustard, and lemon juice and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Wash the beets. Then trim off all but about 1 inch of the beet greens. Leaving on the stem helps keep too much red juice from “bleeding” out while boiling beets. However, there will still be some leakage into the water!
- Boil salted water in a large pot and add beets. Boil for about 40 minutes or until tender.
- Rinse under cook water and peel skin.
- Chop beets and let cool. Optionally slice one piece of beet and use heart cookie cutter to cut out one heart and decorate.
- Pour dressing over cooled chopped beet and gently mix to all pieces of beet are well coated. It will take on a pretty pink color.
- Leave some extra dressing on the side if you want to drizzle over served salad.