May 13, 2019
Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Walnut Butter Crostini
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
- 2 cups (210g) walnuts
- 24 slices French or sourdough bread baguette
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 package of goat cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or oregano leaves
- Make walnut butter first.
- Place walnuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Stir in onions; cook uncovered 10 minutes, stirring every 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in salt, brown sugar, and vinegar. Cook 30 to 35 minutes longer, stirring every 5 minutes until onions are deep golden brown. Cool slightly.
- Heat oven to 325°F. Place bread slices on ungreased cookie sheet; spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Bake 6 to 9 minutes or until crispy. You can also toast bread.
- Assemble crostinis by placing a layer of walnut butter first, then 1 teaspoon caramelized onions and top with 1 rounded teaspoon of goat cheese. Sprinkle with herbs.