March 20, 2020
Oat Acne/Face Mask
Oat milk is one of the only plant-based milks that will leave some pulp in the NutraMilk. One of the best ways to utilize the pulp is to make an all-natural face mask. It´s very gentle on the skin and apparently can be good for acne.
Oats: contain anti-inflammatory properties and saponins, a cleansing agent, making oats perfect for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
Honey: is a natural humectant. It´s especially recommended for dry and sensitive skin. It has antibacterial and antioxidant properties, honey is perfect for achieving that “glow” while fighting acne and nourishing aging skin. Honey also naturally opens pores.
Lemon: contains antibacterial and anti-fungal properties to fight off acne and blackheads. Lemon juice’s citric acid can help fade dark spots and acne scars. Lemon juice can also help cut down on an abundance of oil.
Tea Tree Essential Oil: Known for its antiseptic properties, tea tree essential oil has been used for everything from treating acne to dandruff.
For face mask
- 2 tbsp. oat pulp (left-over from making oat milk with the NutraMilk)
- 2 tbsp. honey
- ½ tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 drops of essential oil - tea tree or peppermint (optional)
- Optional: add ½ mashed avocado
For oat milk (yields 1 quart /4 cups / 946 mL)
- 1 cup (107g) oats
- 1 quart (946ml) water
Making Oat Milk
- Start by making fresh oat milk with the NutraMilk:
- Allow oats to soak for 30 minutes to 1 hour before preparing your oat milk.
- Drain oats.
- Place oats and salt in NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for I minute.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid, add the water. Replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change this default time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense and open spigot to fill your storage container.
- Use the left-over pulp to make a face mask
*If the pulp is too runny, place it on a strainer for 15 minutes and let all the water drain out.
- In a small bowl mix together all face mask ingredients until well combined.
- Apply to face and leave for 10-15 minutes. Remove mask with cold water.
Recipe adapted from live Simply.