Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Jessica In The Kitchen.
For oat milk (yields 1 quart /4 cups / 946 mL)
- 1 cup (107g) oats
- 1 quart (946ml) water
For mashed potatoes
- 2 lbs. (approx. 4 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 4 large pieces)
- 1 cup oat milk made with the NutraMilk
- 2-3 tbsp. Vegan butter
- 1 tbsp. vegan butter or olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, finely diced
- 1 tbsp. gluten-free flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils (add the extra half if you want more filling)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by making fresh oat milk with the NutraMilk:
- Allow oats to soak for 30 minutes to 1 hour before preparing your oat milk.
- Drain oats.
- Place oats and dates in NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for I minute.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid, add the water. Replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change this default time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense and open spigot to fill your container
- Make mashed potatoes: put the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover by 1 inch with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes. Strain and return the potatoes to the saucepan.
- Add oat milk, butterm salt and mash until desired consistency. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F/200 degrees C.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, heat the vegan butter or olive oil.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots, garlic, onion, celery, and thyme. Stir together and allow to cook until onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant, and veggies are cooked down, about 10 to 12 minutes. Stir, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the flour, and stir to coat, then pour in the vegetable broth. Allow to simmer for 5 more minutes on medium heat for the mixture to thicken slightly. If you want a thicker filling, add in more flour by the tablespoon. Remove from heat and add in the cooked lentils and peas and stir, allowing the mixture to heat through the frozen peas.
- Pour into a casserole dish and spread the mashed potatoes over the top, covering completely. You can shape it into a little design if you'd like.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then broil on low until the mashed potatoes top is golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly, then serve. Enjoy!