May 24, 2019
Walnut Pesto Pizza
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Change up the traditional tomato sauce on your pizza and try this delicious walnut pesto. Making your own pizza dough is easier than you may think. Follow the recipe below and you´ll see. When you are the creator in the kitchen you can customize everything- you want a gluten-free crust? There are many gluten-free flour mixes you can use or what about a cauliflower crust? Are you vegan or not consuming dairy? Try a vegan cheese or make your own out of cashews.
For walnut butter
- 2 cups walnuts
- Pinch salt (optional)
For walnut pesto
- 1/3 cup walnut butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 large bunch fresh basil (~2.5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
For pizza dough
- 1 cup warm water (105-110 degrees F)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour or gluten-free pizza crust flour mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup of mozzarella shredded or sliced*
- 4 oz bocconcini fresh mozzarella balls, cut in to slices*
- 1-2 tomatoes, sliced
- Oregano and red pepper flakes to sprinkle
*If vegan, use a vegan cheese.
Yields 1 large pizza or 2 small pizzas.
- To make walnut butter:
- Place walnuts in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Leave 1/3 in NutraMilk container and take out and store the rest for later use.
- To make pesto:
- Add basil, parsley, the rest of the walnuts, parmesan cheese, lemon juice and zest, garlic, salt and pepper to the NutraMilk.
- Press butter for 1 minute or until finely chopped and combined. Set aside 1/3 cup or a bit more for recipe and store the rest for later use.
- To make pizza dough (recipe by JoyFoodSunshine)
- Put warm water into a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar and yeast and stir to combine.
- Let mixture sit for 5 minutes, or until it becomes frothy and bubbles form.
- Add olive oil and gently stir to combine.
- Add flour and salt and mix with a spatula until a ball begins to form (dough will still be slightly sticky)
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead into a smooth dough, adding up to ½ cup extra flour if needed.
- Roll dough into your desired shape and thickness and gently transfer to your prepared pan.
- To ensure the dough doesn't form air pockets, use a fork to prick to the dough all around (gently so you do not poke holes all the way through the crust).
- Bake on the lower rack of your preheated oven for 5 minutes and remove from your oven. (this is just to very slightly prebake the dough). If you notice air bubbles forming, poke them with a fork to let the air out.
- Add pizza sauce and toppings of choice!
- Bake on the lower rack of your oven for around 15-20 minutes until the crust looks crispy and lightly browned.