May 01, 2020
Taco Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
For almond milk
- 1 cup (150g) almonds
- 1 quart (946ml) water
- 1/8 tsp. Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- 1 small avocado
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup almond milk made with the NutraMilk
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. honey or maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
For taco salad
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh and cooked or canned (rinsed and drained)
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup long-grain brown rice
- 1 15- ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. Sriracha dry seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, divided
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup cabbage, thinly sliced (red or green)
- 1 cup shredded vegan white cheddar cheese or any cheese of choice
- 3 cups crumbled tortilla chips
- Lime wedges for garnish
For almond Milk
- Start by making fresh almond milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place almonds in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 7 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense, open spigot and fill your container with almond milk.
- Mix all ingredients in the NutraMilk or with a whisk or hand blender until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Let cool slightly and set aside.
- You can use all the ingredients to make a fresh raw taco salad or choose to cook the ingredients:
- Pour the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet and place over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and corn kernels, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage and sauté for a few minutes or until the cabbage starts to wilt. Coarsely chop 1 tomato and add it to the corn mixture along with the black beans, cooked rice, chili powder, Sriracha seasoning, 1 tablespoon water, 1 teaspoon oregano, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes start to break down. Add another tablespoon of water if the mixture seems dry. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Chop the last 3 tomatoes and place in a medium bowl. Add the cilantro, prepared salsa of choice, and 1/2 teaspoon oregano.
- In a large bowl arrange the lettuce first, then place the bean mixture, the tomatoes.
- Topped with crumbled tortilla shredded cheese and creamy avocado dressing. Garnish with lime wedge and cilantro.
- Add salsa or any other toppings you like!