March 13, 2020
Spring Vegan Mac & Cheese
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
For cashew milk
- 1 cup (150g) cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- 6 oz. package (454g) pasta
- 16 oz. package (454g) fresh or frozen peas
For cashew cheese sauce
- 3-4 cups cashew milk made with the NutraMilk
- 1/4 cup (10g) nutritional yeast, optional
- 1 clove garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. white miso paste or 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- juice of 1/2 lemon or 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- black pepper, to taste
For cashew Milk
- Start by making fresh cashew milk with the NutraMilk:
- Place cashews in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 3 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid, add water and replace lid.
- Press Mix (do not change the default Mix time).
- Press Start.
- Press Dispense.
- Press Start and open spigot to fill your storage container.
For pasta & peas:
- In a large pot, add water and bring to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, add the peas with the pasta to cook. Pasta should be al dente or just fork tender.
- Bring cashew sauce ingredients to boil in a small saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes until it´s sauce is reduced (thick and creamy).
- Once pasta and peas have been drained, add back to the pot they were cooked in and add the cashew cheese sauce over top, stir to combine. Serve and enjoy!