January 16, 2021
Savory Veggie, Hemp & Millet Nuggets
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by The First Mess.
- ⅓ cup dry millet (or if you have cooked on hand, you’ll need 1 cup of cooked millet)
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil (or other oil), plus extra
- ½ cup grated broccoli (about 4-5 regular florets grated with a box grater)
- ½ cup grated carrot (1 medium carrot)
- 2 small shallots, peeled
- 1 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsps. hulled hemp seeds
- 1 ½ tsp. psyllium husk powder
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. cashew butter or other nut butter made with the NutraMilk
- 1 tsp. grainy mustard
For creamy maple mustard dipping sauce:
- 2 tbsps. raw cashew butter
- 2 tbsps. water, plus extra to thin
- 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup, honey or other sweetener of choice
- 1 tbsp. grainy mustard
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 small clove of garlic, finely grated with a microplane
- sea salt
For cashew butter
- 2 cups (300g) cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- 1 quart (946ml) water for milk
- Making cashew butter
- Place cashews and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 5-6 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly brush the parchment with oil and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the millet with ¾ cup water and a pinch of salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer the millet until all water is absorbed and grains appear fluffy/lightly mushy, about 20-25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the avocado oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the broccoli and carrots to the pan. Using the box grater, grate the shallots and transfer them to the pan as well. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper, and stir. Cook until carrots are soft and broccoli is bright green. Stir in the nut butter, rosemary, turmeric, lemon zest, and cayenne pepper before taking off the heat to cool slightly.
- Pack a 1 cup measurement with the cooled millet. You might have a couple mouthfuls extra. Transfer the cup of millet to the NutraMiilk. Add the cooked vegetable mixture to the NutraMilk as well and add the hemp seeds, psyllium husk powder, nutritional yeast, and grainy mustard. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Press ¨Mix¨ for a minute or until the grains and vegetables start clumping together.
- Form the millet nuggets: lightly oil your hands and measure out a scant 2 tablespoons of the millet mixture per nugget. Shape into little patties or freeform bites and set on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Once all the nuggets are formed, lightly brush the tops with a bit more oil. Slide the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 22 minutes, flipping the nuggets halfway. They should be lightly browned and feel solid enough to pick up.
- To make the dipping sauce, in a small bowl, whisk together the cashew butter, water, maple syrup, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Add more water to thin if necessary.
- Serve veggie, hemp & millet nuggets warm with the dipping sauce!