December 15, 2019
Quinoa Stuffed Squash with Almond Date Butter Sauce
Prepared and photographed by NutraMilk nutritionist, Florencia Tagliavini.
Recipe inspired by Vegan Huggs.
For almond date butter & sauce
- 2 cups (300g) almonds
- 4 Medjool dates
- 1/8 tsp. Pink Himalayan salt (optional)
For almond date butter sauce
- 3 tbsp. almond date butter made with the NutraMilk
- coconut oil
For squash & stuffing
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 3 acorn squash (medium-sized)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil + more for brushing acorn flesh
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 large apple, diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. sage
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. teaspoon Himalayan salt (or preferred salt), more to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- For almond date butter.
- Place almonds, dates and salt in the NutraMilk container.
- Press Butter cycle, set for 12-13 minutes.
- Press Start.
- Open the container lid.
- If necessary, set for an additional 1-2 minutes for a creamier butter.
- Set aside 3 tbsp. of butter and store the rest for later use.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each squash to create a flat edge, so the squash can stand up (don't cut too much or it will leave a hole). Cut stems off the tops if they protrude. Now cut each squash horizontally in half. Scoop out the membranes and seeds inside of the squash & discard.
- Place the squash on a rimmed baking sheet, cut-side up. Brush the inside with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Roast the squash for about 35-45 minutes, or until tender (test with a fork).
- Add the quinoa and broth to a medium pot. Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to maintain a low simmer. Cover with lid and cook until liquid is gone and quinoa is fluffy. This usually takes about 15-20 minutes to cook. Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion, celery, apples until softened. About 5-6 minutes
- Add the mushrooms, cranberries, garlic, sage, thyme, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Sauté about 7-9 minutes, or until mushrooms and cranberries are tender.
- Remove from heat and add the cooked quinoa. Combine well and taste for seasoning, add more as needed.
- In a small sauce-pan, melt almond date butter and coconut oil until you get a runny consistency to pour over squash. Set aside.
- When the squash is ready, fill with the stuffing mixture. Place in oven and bake 10-15 minutes, until the quinoa is lightly browned & crispy. Take out and drizzle with almond date sauce. Enjoy!